Tuesday, July 20, 2010

NYC to Philly in a wheelchair, Take Two

To contextualize this a bit, I should mention that I am writing these entries as part of a metafilter project, wherein a bunch of folks are writing how-to articles. My 'how-to' is how to move from NYC to Philly and deal with this adjustment on four wheels. It's quite a specific audience this piece has. But disability issues are often pretty fucking funny, and there's ample opportunities for humor in the NYC/Philly transition, for a variety of reasons. So perhaps this will amuse those of the ambulatory variety.

I think that there is a measure of difference in how New Yorkers respond to weird shit as opposed to Philly folks. Sometimes in Philly it just feels like weird shit is par for the course. Case in point: The Phils fan who intentionally projectile vomited over a fellow fan and two children. There is something quite fascinating about a man who decides that the best course of action,when told to keep it down, is to stick his fingers down his mouth and vomit all over children. I mean, really, what is the thought process there. It seems like punching or maybe kicking would be the go-to activity there. Who likes to projectile vomit on children, anyway?

I can't stop thinking about the vomiter. Yet nobody that I've been around has seemed interested in discussing it. Am I wrong in thinking that in NYC it would be a hot topic? Would there not be debates about whether or not it was bad-ass vs. totally fuckin' stupid to intentionally vomit upon children?

In other local disturbing news that is interesting to contemplate, some arsonist torched a children's playground in Camden, melting the slides and swings and everything into a puddle of plastic.

I am opposed to arson. However, if one was an arsonist, why would one choose to melt a child's slide? I am opposed to arson, but if one was an arsonist, why not go after the gazillion BP stations in the area? I am opposed to arson, but wouldn't the torching of a gas station, with the accompanying giant fireballs of burning gasoline, be more satisfying then melting a child's slide?

Maybe whoever did it just really loooooooved watching plastic slides melt. I can think of no other motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment