Wednesday, July 14, 2010

NYC to Philly in a wheelchair. Take One

It's been as hot as hell, as my sister in law says, so it is, yes. Bought an air conditioner for the first time in decades. It (the AC) is really fucking loud. Glad it doesn't sound broken-loud, or I'd be worrying about whether I'd broken it in the amazingly stupid trip I'd taken it on from the bed to the wheelchair, in the wheelchair across the room to the window.

Is there NYC-ish stoop culture in Upper Darby? There's a bit o' action on Long Lane, but not much. I've seen some gaggles of youth, although they seem to be really quiet and doing a lot of texting on their cell phones.

In addition to being hot as hell it has rained. Rain and rain and rain and rain.

The most wonderful thing in Upper Darby, as far as I am concerned, is H-Mart. Try the marinated chicken! It's brilliant!

Biggest bummer ever in the hood happened a few days ago -- dead cat on the sidewalk, same markings as my cat Trudles. Made me think of the number of cats I see outside (many) here vs. NYC (only the occasional, lost looking one). Long Lane gets as much traffic as many a street in NYC; don't see why people don't care for their animals. Indoor cat. Say it with me.

One not significant but noticeable difference in my life has to do with the disposal of trash. Last apartment in NYC: Garbage chute ten feet from apartment, would throw my trash out wearing stained sweats and my hair wild. Second to last apartment: Flung bags of garbage out of lobby exit into a dumpster that was a few feet away. Upper Darby apartment: Balance bags of garbage on lap, go down a hill, through a big puddle if it's been raining, wrench open this rusty iron door on the side of the dumpster and hope that rancid whatever won't come steaming out, and throw trash in.

My life! The panting drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment